Lucky on the first day of his vet visit after being shaved.


This is the story of Lucky. We thought Lucky was feral. He had been hanging around a neighbourhood in north Keswick, looking for food, but running away in fear if anyone got too close. Lucky had been hanging around for many, many months, and one woman in particular began to get really concerned for his well-being when winter started coming around. Where would he stay? What would he eat? How would he stay warm?

Sue-Ann contacted us. We worked with her to see about having a shelter put out for him, and to try and trap him and get him neutered. Technically at this point, we didn’t even know if Lucky was a boy or a girl. We couldn't get close enough to check.

We tried for weeks to catch him with no luck. Sue-Ann noticed a growing wound on the side of his face and became even more concerned. We continued to set the traps and watch and wait, but he was too smart or scared or something. He would not enter the trap no matter how hungry he was.

Finally, one day, Sue-Ann was able to coax him into her front foyer with some food. Once inside, she was able to trap him in the foyer by shutting the front door. Alarmed at first, he cried with some panic, but then seemed to accept the situation of being trapped inside. Although she was still uncertain how he’d react, Sue-Ann picked him up and placed him in a trap, so he could be taken to a vet the next morning.

The vet examination showed that he had two wounds, and that one was very deep and severely infected. Lucky’s fur was also so matted he could barely move his neck. Lucky underwent surgery for the severely infected wounds, and was also shaved down to remove his mats and given medication for his fleas and for the infection. He was so dehydrated that the vet broke two needles trying to stitch him up. The vet techs fell in love with him and gave him a bath to clean up his fur which was covered in flea dirt. Throughout it all, he remained calm and quiet and showed no signs of aggression, despite the obvious pain his must have been in.

Lucky went to Sue-Anne’s house to recover. She was hoping Lucky could become a permanent member of her household – she had grown attached to him throughout all this. Unfortunately, her resident cat was not so enamoured and Lucky had to find another foster. Lucky went into foster with Sue, a GFCC volunteer, who confirmed his gentle, sweet and affectionate nature.

Lucky was eventually adopted to an elderly couple who also have two small dogs and is living a life of love and snuggles. He left such an imprint on Sue, the GFCC volunteer who fostered him for several months and she visits him regularly in his new home.